Supporting Cast

Supporting Cast


Prone as we are to lose the line

in the suck and swirl of such 

a rush, I tell them that a story of this force 

means certain names flow past 

like leaf-fall or bits of twig: the woman 

who fills the wine, the old friend 

of a father’s with a good horse, the inn-keep 

who keeps away the night 

for a night. Or think of them, I say,

as river rock, here to keep the current moving

where it ought. It’s a long ways away, 

but suffice for now to say 

if there’s a quiz they might be an option

but for sure won’t be the answer.

And if you look long enough,

I tell them, you may even see

your own float by, or lodged in the bank

as a redirecting ripple. Rejoice.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Line of Thinking

the road behind the hill

on finding an eviction notice