Home Grown

HOME GROWN


Yes, far from a yawp,

but call it a three-can cry of self-


sufficiency, this garden 

salsa: delicate finger-dance 


of grape tomatoes diced, 

six peppers ribbed and minced


with an organic crunch, 

and all grown by these very hands


in this very soil, a rumor 

I was eager to seed around 


the chip bowl to people I clearly 

didn’t need. Of course, 


there was the sticky matter 

of cilantro, the one white onion 


to tie it all together, but who 

hasn’t sourced a missing ingredient


from, say, Whitman, or maybe

Food Lion, time to time?


As to air, light, rain, the delicate inter-

mingling of earthworm in bodies 


long decayed, these words

to tell about it? The argument, 


I'll admit, begins to obtain

a certain, undeniable tang.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Line of Thinking

the road behind the hill

on finding an eviction notice